Thursday 19 March 2015

Harness the power of the mystical black… with My Beauty Diary NEW Black Mask range | First Impression Review


If you're a mask lover and you have never heard of the brand "My Beauty Diary" before, then I only have one question for you… Where have you been? But I doubt I'd ever need to ask someone this because all of us should be VERY familiar with this Taiwanese brand by now! Being the No.1 Facial & Eye Mask brand in Singapore, there really isn't a need for me to give an introduction.

I've known of this brand since I started using facial masks in Secondary school, and I don't think I've lived a day without having at least 1 My Beauty Diary (MBD) mask in my house ever since! Not even kidding. MBD masks are effective and free of harmful paraben preservatives, alcohol, mineral oil, pigments and fluorescent agents, AND they're affordable too… What's not to love?

If you're a fan of MBD like me, then you'll be glad to know that the brand has just gotten even better! With its improved formula, features and packaging, the enhanced mask range now features a uniquely patented ingredient - Cosphingo. With a long-lasting moisturising property for improved hydration, this unique ingredient enables the skin to feel soft and supple. I've no idea what cosphingo is/means though; new word maybe…?

MBD has recently launched its NEW Black Mask range - Black Obsidian Moisturising (for skin requiring intense hydration and illumination), Black Rose Brightening (for dark skin and skin desiring radiance) and Black Pearl Total Effect (for skin desiring firming effect) Black Masks. "Utilising mystical black ingredients to help eliminate skin pigmentation, unevenness and loose skin caused by UV rays and environmental impurities, the deluxe Black Mask series help to restore uneven skin tone, enhance skin elasticity, leaving your skin rejuvenated, deeply moisturised with dewy radiance", as described by MBD. Sounds too good to be true? Let's put 1 of their 3 masks to the test!


Black Obsidian Moisturising Black Mask
2 highlights on the outer packaging:
"3D Hyaluronic acid and Yeast Compound
The unique structure of the 3D Hyaluronic acid locks moisture into the skin to replenish and retain hydration. It also forms a protective film over the skin to prevent dehydration, allowing skin to stay moisturised. The yeast compound helps tighten and regulate skin tone, providing a fine and glowing appearance. (…)

Conforming Black Sheet Mask Material ()
…infused with essential essences provides the perfect fit that conforms to your facial contours and neck, delivering instant nourishment to dry skin and simultaneously eliminating impurities in the pores, giving you porcelain, shine-free and silky smooth skin."

Description provided by MBD:
"Rich in trace elements and minerals that restores healthy skin, French Black Obsidian helps support the skin’s protective mechanism and enhances the skin’s hydrating power. The infusion of Laminaria digitata and sugar maple delivers intense hydration to the deep layers of skin to improve dry skin texture, revealing renewed and brighter skin. Enriched with numerous soothing ingredients like Calendula officinalis, Licoriceand Ruscus aculeatus extracts to relieve dry, rough and irritated skin, the mask is also rich in Bladder wrack seaweed, Aloe vera, and hydrolysed Jojoba for improved hydration, allowing the skin to feel optimally nourished, revitalised with glowing luminosity!"

So many good ingredients! Let's take a look at the ingredient list and see where they stand:
WATER • GLYCERIN • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • PROPYLENE GLYCOL • ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE • ANANAS SATIVUS (PINEAPPLE) FRUIT EXTRACT • HYDROXYETHYL UREA • CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM (LEMON) FRUIT EXTRACT • CALENDULA OFFICINALIS FLOWER EXTRACTRUSCUS ACULEATUS ROOT EXTRACT • CITRUS GRANDIS (GRAPEFRUIT) FRUIT EXTRACT • HYDROLYZED FUCUS VESICULOSUS PROTEIN • LAMINARIA DIGITATA EXTRACT • PANAX GINSENG ROOT EXTRACT • PHENOXYETHANOL • POLYGLUTAMIC ACID • CHLORPHENESIN • SODIUM LACTATE • ARNICA MONTANA FLOWER EXTRACT • GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA (LICORICE) ROOT EXTRACT • POLYSORBATE 20 • TRIETHANOLAMINE • SODIUM HYALURONATE • CITRIC ACID • SODIUM PCA • CODIUM TOMENTOSUM EXTRACT • DIPOTASSIUM GLYCYRRHIZATE • LECITHIN • VACCINIUM MYRTILLUS FRUIT EXTRACT • SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM (SUGAR CANE) EXTRACT • ACER SACCHARUM (SUGAR MAPLE) EXTRACT • CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) FRUIT EXTRACT • POLYSORBATE 80 • SODIUM HYALURONATE CROSSPOLYMER • HYDROLYZED JOJOBA ESTERS • CARBOMER • IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE • XANTHAN GUM • SODIUM HYDROXIDE • FRAGRANCE • TOCOPHERYL ACETATE • HYDROLYZED YEAST PROTEIN • PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL • HEMATITE EXTRACT 

(Is it me or I don't see "hyaluronic acid" and "bladder wrack seaweed"…?)

I've mentioned before (in my previous post actually) about how the ingredients a mask claims to be formulated with should at least be at the top 30% of the list in order for your skin to really benefit and see results from them. As you can see, not all the ingredients highlighted by this mask are located at the top 30%, but I'm actually liking what I see! Licorice, sugar maple, jojoba and yeast seem to fall short as compared to the other highlighted ingredients, but in the midst of them are other herb / flower / fruit extracts that are beneficial for your skin as well.

"Before"
This is immediately after I removed my makeup and cleansed my face. Yes, I didn't remove and wash off my brow pencil and lipstick hehehe, but my face is clean and ready for mask application!

To ensure that your face is completely free of makeup, always remember to use a toner.
See? There's still a bit of makeup. Usually, my cotton pad will be clean with no makeup at all, but I think this time I was too excited to try out the mask!

Before I put on a sheet mask, I'll always apply my essence and serum because they work even better underneath a facial mask. I didn't apply anything other than my toner this time round though, so I could be certain that whatever result I got would be from the mask itself.
Cannot smile or make facial expressions with mask on

A thoughtful detail I realised about this mask is the bottom portion:
Extra "fabric" to reach your jaws!

Now, time to set my alarm!
I don't know why, but it seems like not everyone knows how vital it is to NOT leave your mask on for longer than the stated duration - it will create a reversal effect and draw out moisture (instead of providing!!) from your skin instead. Some people I know still leave their masks on overnight… please stop! For me, if the mask says to leave it on for 15-20 minutes, I'll always set my alarm to 15 minutes and remove it once my alarm rings. If it states 20-30, I'll set 25. While putting my mask on, I'll also spend a minute or 2 to smoothen out my mask and remove as many "bubbles" as I can too, so it won't be good to set my alarm at 20 and 30 minutes respectively.

Note: Because of the "conforming black sheet mask material", I have indeed noticed that very little bubbles were formed for this mask. It definitely "adhered" to my skin very well, as compared to regular sheet masks.

"After"
Lighting of picture is exactly the same, but skin is visibly brighter and more hydrated.

To be honest, the result didn't surprise me, simply because I've used MBD for so long and I always achieve brighter skin with their brightening masks.

$ Price $

A box of My Beauty Diary's Black Mask series contains 5 sheet masks and retails for S$16.90. 1 sheet therefore costs S$3.38.

Individual masks are priced at S$3.95 per piece, although not available for individual purchase at the moment.

Buy or Bye? | Verdict

To buy or to say bye to the Black Mask series from MBD? These are way more expensive than their regular mask series (double the price…), so I would say this is a BUY if you're okay with spending on better-quality masks. Nonetheless, ~S$3.50 for a mask is still considered pretty cheap in the world of good-quality masks!

Thank you Sample Store for the opportunity to be able to review this! <3

-

My Beauty Diary masks are available at Guardian, Sasa, Watsons and online at www.naturesmart.com.sg

Facebook: My Beauty Diary SG

'LIKE' MyBeautyDiarySG on Facebook to get to try the Black Obsidian Moisturizing Black Mask first-hand by redeeming their FREE samples in a ‘Group Redemption Deal’. Valid only for the first 1,000 fans who participate in this group deal, the deal would only be unlocked once 1,000 entries are received. Each of you will receive a single-piece pack of Black Obsidian Moisturizing Black Mask worth S$3.50 each! Link: www.bit.ly/mbdblackmask 

Disclaimer: Product was sent by The Sample Store (representing My Beauty Diary Singapore) for review. This post does contain information from the brand itself, but thoughts and opinions expressed above are strictly my own and based on my personal experience. I am not affiliated with nor compensated by the company.



With love,

Jolynn Lim
My Beauty Road

"Don't forget to love yourself."

Follow me on Instagram @mybeautyroad for more beauty updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment