Sunday 27 May 2018

Target the source of oily skin: Introducing the new Bioderma Sebium Lotion & Mat Control | REVIEW


I've always known Bioderma for their micellar water  it was the first cleansing water that I ever chanced upon and used since those "makeup wipes" days, and I never looked back! I can't count with my fingers how many bottles I've purchased since then. Having said that, I'm not sure why it has never occurred to me to try their skincare products despite knowing they're out there in the market whenever I stop by at Guardian. Hence, when I was introduced to the brand's new products from their existing Sebium line, which is a range that caters to oily skin (a.k.a me), I knew it was time to give Bioderma's skincare products a try.

The Bioderma Sebium range is launching two new oil-fighting products: Sebium Lotion and Sebium Mat Control. This particular range targets the source of oily skin by biologically regulating the quality of skin’s sebum.





Do you know?

There are 3 main factors that affect our skin’s sebum:

Factor 1: Hormones
  • Imbalances and changes in hormonal activity can result in the excess production of sebum, putting one at risk of qualitative sebum abnormality. Having thicker sebum makes it difficult for the oil to flow out of the follicle, increasing the risk of clogged pores and pimples. On a brighter note, having oilier skin actually prevents damage to the skin's immune system and even preserves the antioxidant reserves, which is why people with oily skin tend to have fewer wrinkles with age. 

Factor 2: Improper Skincare
  • Using skincare products that are not suitable for your skin can irritate and worsen acne-prone and oily skin. For instance, the use of aggressive cleansing products can lead to skin barrier issues, pH instability and reactional hyperseborrhea, whereby the skin produces even more sebum to compensate for the removal of all the sebum from its surface.

Factor 3: Lifestyle
  • Diet and stress are some factors that can influence the production of sebum. A high-glycemic diet (sugar, flour, rice etc) and even high stress levels, for example, can elevate hormones that increase the activity of sebaceous glands, contributing to the formation of acne.

Skincare Tip: Be patient and stick with a targeted treatment programme, using products from a dermo-cosmetic range that is created for oily, blemish-prone skin. Depending on each individual and the type of acne, improvement is generally observed.

The Bioderma Sebium range contains Fluidactiv™ Patent, and it is the only patent in the market that biologically regulates the quality of sebum, similar to that of healthy skin. It also helps to stop the process that causes pimples and clogged pores to form. Let's zoom in on the two new products from the range. 

Bioderma Sebium Lotion
(S$33.90 / 200ml)
  • INGREDIENTS: AQUA/WATER/EAU, PEG-11 METHYL ETHER DIMETHICONE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, FOMES OFFICINALIS (MUSHROOM) EXTRACT, CAPRYLOYL GLYCINE, POLYSORBATE 20, SODIUM CITRATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, SALICYLIC ACID, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, MANNITOL, SODIUM METABISULFITE, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, PYRIDOXINE HCL, PROPYL GALLATE, PEG-40, HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, PHENOXYETHANOL, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM)

  • Description: This non-sticky toning lotion is specially formulated to soothe and treat oily skin. It is also specially formulated for Asian Skin. It contains a blend of active ingredients that helps balance the skin’s pH, reduce excess oil and keep the skin hydrated. It provides 8-hour lasting hydration thanks to Glycerin. It regulates the skin’s pH to a healthy level and limits the growth of P.acnes bacteria with Capryloyl Glycine (amino acid). It reduces sebum production and has anti-bacterial properties with the help of Zinc Gluconate and Vitamin B6. It gently exfoliates and refines skin’s texture with Salicylic Acid. Last but not least, it helps tighten pores thanks to the astringent properties of Mushroom Extract.

  • Directions: Pour onto cotton pad and sweep across skin in an outward motion, or pour onto palm and pat into skin with fingertips. Avoid eye and lips. For best results, use together with Sebium Mat Control for optimal shine-control and hydration.

My Thoughts: For those with oily skin like me, this is a very basic lotion to own. I personally have not witnessed any significant improvement in my skin, either in terms of sebum production or acne formation. With that said, I have only used this for a week, so it may not be long enough to notice any difference. Also to note, my skin has been pretty stabilised recently (I don't know if I should give credit to my current skincare regimen or my raging hormones that have probably decided to calm down for now), so I'm relieved to report that this lotion has not aggravated my skin or caused any breakout. Instead of treating this like a lotion, I prefer to use it as a toner with the cotton pad method to help get rid of any last trace of impurity on my skin.

Bioderma Sebium Mat Control
(S$36.90 / 30ml)


  • INGREDIENTS: AQUA/WATER/EAU, GLYCERIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, C30-45 ALKYL CETEARYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, ZINC GLUCONATE, DISODIUM EDTA, SALICYLIC ACID, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, XANTHAN GUM, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, DODECYL GALLATE, PYRIDOXINE HCL, FOMES OFFICINALIS (MUSHROOM) EXTRACT, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, PHENOXYETHANOL, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM)

Description: A daily moisturiser that provides just the right balance of shine control and hydration. It helps to effectively control excess oil, soothe skin and prevent dryness. It promises 8-hour shine control and smooth effect thanks to the Matt and Smooth Technology which includes mattifying micro powders and silicones that help to instantly reduce shine. It provides 12-hour hydration with Glycerin which keeps the skin well-hydrated. It ensures clear complexion and smooth skin in 7 days thanks to Zinc Gluconate and Vitamin B6 which help control shine in the long run by reducing sebum production. It minimises the appearance of large pores with Mushroom Extract’s astringent properties. It refines and improves the skin’s texture with the help of Salicylic Acid.

Directions: Squeeze out a sufficient amount and apply on skin in an outward motion. Can be used as a makeup base. Avoid eyes and lips. For best results, use together with Bioderma Sebium Lotion for optimal shine-control and hydration.

My Thoughts: Unfortunately, I have not noticed any difference with this too. Not to say that it made my skin worse (because it did not), but there is no difference in my sebum production whether or not I apply this on my skin before sunblock. The texture is nice to the touch and easy to apply – as if I'm spreading soft mousse onto my skin. I really wanted this to work and was even rooting for it! But as of now, I haven't witnessed any improvement in the quality of my sebum. Because it doesn't break me out, I will continue to use this on a daily basis and hopefully, I'll be able to see a difference with time! After all, as mentioned, I've only tried this and the Sebium Lotion for a week. Therefore, my current thoughts may not do full justice to this product. If there's any improvement, I'll be sure to update it on my Instagram story, so be sure to follow me on my IG handle 😚


An embarrassingly candid, completely bare faced (save for brows and tinted lip balm) and totally unedited photo of me that I snapped for my partner a couple days back around 6 P.M. after getting a hair cut hahaha. Left is with Bioderma Mat Control, right is without. It's the only picture I can find of myself with half the product on my face for comparison. Do you see a difference?

Availability
The Sebium Lotion and Sebium Mat Control are available for sale islandwide from 1 June 2018 onwards.

Exclusive promotion at Guardian:
Buy 1 and get the 2nd item at 50% off! Click here and here to be directed to their product pages and promotions.

-
Website: www.bioderma.sg
Instagram: @BiodermaSG

Disclaimer: Products featured in this post were sent to me by Sample Store (representing Bioderma Singapore) for review. While this is a paid engagement and post does contain information from the brand itself, thoughts and opinions expressed above are strictly my own and based on my personal experience. I am not affiliated with both companies.



With love,

Jolynn Lim
My Beauty Road

"Don't forget to love yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment